About Me

My photo
Hi. My Name is Paulo. I love number 8. My dream is to score a movie and win an Oscar for that. =P I've created this blog as an outlet to share my ideas, insights, opinions, interests, experiences, learnings, and my life. Don't ask me how to be a good writer because I am not and I will never be. When you wake up one day, and all you want to do is write, then you can call yourself a writer. That's how simple life is. =)

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Global Scale of Human Stupidity

Ever heard of the name Dr. Matt Taylor? Probably not. If you google the name you will most likely find a football player, musician or weather presenter.

You would most likely not hear about this Matt Taylor because he is a scientist and our society does not value scientists as much as people who kick around leather balls or have a nice voice.

You have however, most likely heard about the monster in ESA who objectifies women and wears that abomination of a shirt.

Matt Taylor has been framed into a vicious "feminist" political campaign just because he chose to dress differently. The comic characters on his shirt have somehow driven the feminism fanatics into a holly war against attire.

On one hand Matt is a highly prized project scientist who is not only doing his job but he is also fully dedicated and passionate about it. And through his work the boundaries of human knowledge get expanded.

On the other hand he is one of us. A guy who ennjoys humour and more specifically- internet humour. A guy who answers questions about his work to all those strangers who ask him through the internet. A guy who knows how to be fun and is not afraid to be wacky at times. For all we know he might even be 9gager.

So why did he wear that shirt? It wa a birthday present from his FEMALE friend.

As per Matt, "Changing my apperance every few months and currently combing my hair from left to right seems to add a positive aspect to daily activities."

These are not words of excuse, these are words from his profile page posted long before all these.

And when after all these years of work. A mission which had predicted 75-80% success of chances, succeeded. When the stress ended. When he finally wanted to express his joy and share his professional insights, he got this instead:

"I don't care if you landed a spacecraft on a comet, your shirt is sexist and ostracizing."

Bitch, please. You have one chance to inquire about one of the most exciting scientific missions of your lifetime and you focus on cartoon characters on a shirt? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOUR BRAIN?!

"The fact that a scientist of any gender, but especially a man, would think it's a good idea to wear a shirt covered in naked women while representing a major space agency and a significant research project is apalling; and clearly, he had no idea that he was engaging in exactly the kind of casual sexism that drives women away from STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)"

Your logic just gave me cancer and aged me by 30 years. If a woman or man. After all her/his years of studying and inspirations is driven away by a shirt. A fucking T-shirt. Then you should never ever dream about STEM job in the first place. you are not good enough.

I would have dismissed all of this. Just shrug it off like all other mankind stupidities... But then I watched Matt's apology.

A sincere and nervous apology uttered with a broken voice whilst his hands were shaking and he was breaking in. One of the good guys are apologizing yet I don't know for what. He apologized to a band of troglodytes. But it was so sincere that he made me wonder what was going through that man's mind. Was he sad that he managed to insult many people? Was he sad that people focused on his shirt rather than on his work? Was he sad that the world is full of stupid people?

Whatever he was sad about I felt OFFENDED. I felt offended because a genuinely nice guy who has made of tons for society was being harassed on a global scale. This is WRONG. This is going back to MEDIEVAL times when group of fanatics attacked scientists because they had the "MORAL" right to do so. FANATICS are attacking our scientists again and it is our DUTY to show support.

My message to Matt:

PLEASE KEEP ON BEING AWESOME!

"I work on the Rosetta mission at ESA. Which is Nice."
 - Dr. Matt  Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment